There are always risks no matter where we work and what we work with but the risks that comes with building and construction is much higher compared to others. The most used tool in construction is the hand saw. It can be easy to handle once you get proper training on how to handle it but no matter if you are a professional or not the risks of hand sawing are still the same. We are going to tell you the top risks of hand sawing and tell you how to avoid it.
Advantages of Using Hand Tools for Hand Sawing
Before we proceed on discussing the risks of hand sawing and how to avoid it, let’s go over first on the advantages and disadvantages of using hand tools.
- The use of hand tools offers you complete precision in the operation: Hand tools offer a great degree of precision because of the flexibility they allow to the user while they are operating. That is to suggest that you are in complete command of the operation.
- Skill is highly required in hand sawing; you should have the required level of skill in order to use hand tools.
- Since hand tools can be used without the assistance of an external power supply, they are manually operated.
- The use of hand tools is not overly complicated. Compared to power tools, they feature a reduced number of moving parts, making them simpler and easier to manipulate. When you use them, you have complete control, which is useful for tasks such as wood carvings and other projects that require attention to detail. Because of this, there is no intricacy connected to them at all. There are fewer moving parts, which means that there is also a decreased possibility of these equipment becoming damaged.
- They do not require the power in order to be driven. As a result, there are no constraints on when or how they should be employed. This ensures that they are always easily accessible. You are able to reduce your overall power use and so save money.
- Hand tools are not heavy, and their portability is enhanced by their low weight. The fact that hand tools are often smaller and more compact than power tools also contributes to their portability. These gadgets are also less cumbersome to carry around. For instance, if you are in the process of remodelling your home, you will find that it is much simpler and quicker to transfer these instruments from one location to another.
Drawbacks of Using Hand Tools for Hand Sawing
- The manipulation that takes place in their use is done by the user: somebody who knows very little about them may not be able to handle them and obtain the outcome they want. Therefore, in order to operate them successfully, you must first possess the required skill.
- They are slow and require some amount of time. When you utilise hand tools for hand sawing, it will take you a significantly longer time to do it. This is because you are responsible for performing every manoeuvre as part of the assignment. Using this method will take you longer to complete a task, therefore it is not the best choice to use when you are in a hurry.
- It can sap your strength. Hand tools can be exhausting, in addition to taking up a significant portion of your time. Since its use requires physical manipulation on your part, the expenditure of energy is inevitable. It is necessary for you to exert force with your hands. In addition to this, there will be a prolonged time of employment. It is possible that it will wear you out.
RISKS OF HAND SAWING AND TIPS TO AVOID IT
RISK #1: CHIPS AND SHARDS GETTING INTO THE EYE
Small debris fly out due to friction and power from the hand sawing and these debris can easily get into your eye and potentially puncture deeper that may need surgery or worse, blindness.
TIP: WEAR SAFETY MASKS AND GOOGLES
There is always the possibility of splinters flying when using a hand saw. The object being sawed may occasionally rebound and strike the person using the hand saw. Always wear a safety mask and eye protection to safeguard your face and eyes.
RISK #2: MISHANDLING THE TOOL DUE TO SIZE
Hand saw comes in different sizes. Choosing to work with a size that does not fit for you may lead you to mishandle it and injure you or others in the end.
TIP: CHOOSE A TOOL OF THE RIGHT SIZE
Handsaws come in a variety of sizes and capabilities. Before you begin cutting with the handsaw, you must first analyze the stock. Handsaws that are too big or too tiny for the job should be avoided.
RISK #3: TOOL MALFUNCTION THAT MAY LEAD TO ACCIDENTS
Hand sawing is a rigorous process and sometimes stresses out the machine if it is used consecutively for long periods. It can malfunction that may lead to accidents if not checked properly and before every after use.
TIP: INSPECT HAND SAW BEFORE EVERY USE
Before using a hand saw, properly inspect it for any signs of damage. You must not use the hand saw if the handle is loose, the blade is curved or fractured, or there are missing blade teeth. Marking the tool as hazardous will also ensure that no one else utilizes it.
RISK #4: STUCK MATERIALS THAT MAY CAUSE HAND SAW MALFUNCTION AND ACCIDENTS
Knots and nails may be overlooked due to its small size and if not inspected before use, this may cause the hand saw to malfunction causing accidents.
TIP: CHECK MATERIALS FOR KNOTS AND NAILS
Knots, metal bits, nails, and screws in the stock have the potential to harm the blade. It can also cause the hand saw to buckle, which might result in harm. By thoroughly examining the goods ahead of time, you can avoid such scenarios.
RISK #5: INAPPROPRIATE CHECKING OF SHARPNESS
TIP: NEVER TEST SHARPNESS WITH HAND
Never use your hand or any other part of your body to test the sharpness of a hand saw. This could result in cuts and injuries.
RISK #6: STARTING TOO FAST
Starting the machine to fast and not getting momentum before starting pose great risk to safety and may cause sudden break of the blade or sharp debris going out that may puncture you or others.
TIP: START SLOWLY
You must always begin gently to avoid buckling and rebound of the hand saw. To begin cutting the material, use lengthy, even strokes.
RISK #7: SAW DISLODGEMENT
Another common risk is the risk of saw being dislodge and may cause you serious injury. Hand sawing with a saw not properly lodged in is nightmare.
TIP: ENSURE THAT THE MATERIALS IS KEPT IN PLACE
It’s critical to keep the stock securely in place to avoid major harm. If the thing is particularly heavy or huge, use a vice or a clamp. If you use thick gloves to shield your hand from the motion of the hand saw, you can use your free hand to grip smaller objects. You can also request that an aide keep objects in place for you.
RISK # 8: TOOL MALFUNCTION DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE CARE
Taking the tool for granted and not properly caring for it may cause serious accidents associated with hand sawing machine malfunction.
TIP: KEEP HAND THE SAW CLEAN
You must keep the instrument clean at all times in order for it to function properly. Inspect it for damage and, if necessary, have it repaired or replaced. The best saw cutting company like Advance Cutting make sure that tools are taken care off and on top performance.
RISK #9: ENDAGER OTHER PEOPLE IF THEY TRY TO USE IT
Other people, especially kids, can be tempted to use it. they may see it as simple tool or toy that does not need experience to handle.
TIP: STORE IN A SAFE PLACE
Your hand saw must be kept in a secure, enclosed location. This will keep it out of the hands of the wrong individuals. When using a hand saw, you must also keep youngsters away from the area.
RISK #10: BODILY INJURY DUE TO IMPROPER TECHNIQUE
Hand sawing is more technical that it looks like. There are particular techniques to impose on different sawing tools. The technique for normal hand sawing is very different when working with a hydraulic concrete hand saw.
TIP: USE FULL LENGTH STROKES AWAY FROM THE BODY
Run the hand saw the full length of its blade at each stroke for increased stability and the greatest results. At all times, keep the instrument away from your body and at a safe, comfortable distance.
Why You Should Hire a Professional for Your Hand Sawing Needs
Concrete saw service may appear to be a simple task; yet, the actual procedure presents its challenges due to the necessity of making accurate and risk-free cuts. It is vital to be aware of the benefits of employing professionals to do hand sawing in order to achieve efficient cutting.
1. HIGH-QUALITY WORK.
Unless you’re a trained professional to perform concrete saw services, there is a good likelihood that every DIY home project you undertake will include some degree of education and training on your part. When you hire a professional, the quality of hand sawing that you receive will be much improved.
2. AVOID MAKING MISTAKES.
When you try to handle everything on your own, you place yourself in a position where you could easily make costly mistakes. This can put your entire project at risk and wind up costing you more money in the long run if you have to pay a professional to remedy whatever went wrong with your project.
3. INCREASE HOME VALUE
The value of your home may grow as a result of renovation projects, but only if those projects are carried out in the correct manner. If you want the job done to the greatest possible standard, hiring a professional with a great experience in concrete saw service is a fantastic investment that can actually help to raise the value of your home when the time comes to put it up for sale. If you want to get the job done right, hire a professional concrete cutter.
4. SAVE TIME
DIY projects typically need a significant amount of time due to the learning curve that is involved. Before you can even begin working on the project, you might need to spend some time learning how to use tools such as a concrete ring saw, hydraulic concrete hand saw, or high frequency saw. This is in addition to the fact that you have to make time to plan the project, do all of the work yourself, and then deal with the cleanup.
5. PROVIDES A WIDE RANGE OF SERVICES
If you need to cut through concrete floors, walls, sidewalks, gutters, or even your driveway, professionals who cut concrete have the skills, equipment, and experience necessary to assist you in completing the task.
ADVANCE CUTTING – SAFETY IS NUMBER 1
Here at Advance Cutting, we make safety as our number one priority for our clients and workers. We provide various sawing services like advanced concrete sawing and advance drilling & sawing. If you would like to know more about other service we offer and our company, explore our official website or contact us so we can assist you better.
Get a quote for our hand and ring sawing services by filling out the form below: